Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Wise Improvise

Guess what? Those little clip things on rear view mirrors come in handy.  So does a sheet of graph paper and a pen. For what, you ask? Well, I'll tell you. And I'll start at the beginning if that suits you just fine. It suits me just fine, so if it suits you just fine, I'll start.

The day before The Book Academy Writer's Conference at UVU on Oct 6th, I looked up directions. The page on their site said, "Please print the attached parking pass and leave it on your dashboard." I could not find any such pass. And they even said, please. Ahh, they asked so nicely, but to no avail.

So I vowed to write a sign. The whole drive there, I brainstormed what I would write on: The Sign. Okay, just kidding. I never gave it a thought until I parked.

Then I hurried and scribbled it out. Here's an original copy of my original sign—



See? I followed their example and said Please too. Then I clipped it on my rear view mirror and vamoosed.

But I have a confession to make. By the time I snagged my name tag, it was 5 minutes until the Awesome Dan Wells revealed his super funny and helpful Keynote Address, and 5 minutes until breakfast was over. So I did NOT run the pass which they provided at the registration table out to my car. 

Therefore, I lied when I wrote, "I'll be back with a pass." But it was an accidental lie. And accidental lies are approved by the Board of Happiness for Hapless Humans.

I know you're just dying to know if I got a ticket. Okay so, when the conference was over, I snuck (yes, snuck is a word) up on my car, hopped in, dared to look, and NO! I did NOT get me a ticket! Thank you, kind and benevolent UVU. 

One more thing you need to know about accidental lies. Whenever possible, you should fix said lie. So here, dear patient and kind UVU is The Parking Pass, right before your eyes, in all its glory!



I hope you enjoyed this tutorial on accidental lies. Now go and fix a lie today. 

P.S. If you would like the answer to the question in my last post. (Yes I know you could live just fine without knowing, but here's the goods anyway.) The photo is indeed a ceiling of sorts. An outside ceiling—being that it's underneath the portico leading to the front doors. :)

13 comments:

Amy said...

Hey there awesome lady! Come by my blog, I have an award for you! :)

http://amylunderman.blogspot.com/2011/10/booking-through-theme-thursday-sequel.html

Giles Hash said...

I'm glad you didn't get a ticket! :D

Tasha Seegmiller said...

Glad you didn't get a ticket. That conference was fantastic! It was nice to briefly meet you.

And I think you should save that note for future conferences, even if you aren't attending and see if the magic still works

Look forward to following you :)

Jax said...

LOL What a way to avoid a ticket! I'm glad that it worked out for you...Now I just need to think of which accidental lie I should fix first..hmmm haha

Danica said...

That's pretty clever of you, and nice job dodging the ticket bullet!

David P. King said...

I have an awesome story to tell you about UVU tickets. But I won't talk about it here. We'll save that for next time.

BTW, I launched a giveaway today! :)

Small Town Shelly Brown said...

Lets here it for the UVU parking police! Huzzah!

Anonymous said...

I guessed it was a ceiling. Hooray for me! I'm glad you didn't get a ticket!

Chantele Sedgwick said...

Brenda, you are hilarious!! :D I'm glad you had a great time! :)

Royce A Ratterman said...

Those parking enforcement folks were very merciful, ha, ha.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy your blog so I awarded you a Versatile Blogger. You can pick it up at http://dawnall.wordpress.com/. Keep up the great work.

Stephanie Black said...

Whew! Glad you didn't get a ticket!

Katie Dodge said...

Ha ha! You're too cute. :)